Thursday, August 6, 2009

Kids in the Kitchen - Pita Pizzas

The whole family got in on our Kids In The Kitchen project this week - even daddy! Pizza has become my 2-year-olds favorite food, and I love the healthier option that Pita Pizzas give us. As an added bonus, they're fun for the kids to make!


**I apologize for my consistently crummy pictures for my KITK posts. Remind me to never again purchase a house with only north and south facing windows in the main living areas. Grrr.**


All you need for Pita Pizzas is:

Pitas
Tomato sauce or Pizza sauce
Mozzarella cheese
Favorite pizza toppings

First the kids spread the tomato sauce on their pitas. We added some italian seasonings on top since we weren't using pizza sauce.

Next you pile on the cheese. You have to give extra cheese because, inevitably, little people will sneak it to eat when they think you're not looking.

All that's left is to add the toppings and the prep work is done. We were using tomatoes, bell pepper and pepperoni, but anything will work! This is also a sneaky way to get the kiddos to eat some extra veggies. Kaitlin VOLUNTARILY ate bell peppers - and then asked for more!

All of our pizzas are ready to go into the oven. See the pizzas all decorated with pepperoni in a circle? Yeah, those are Doug's. Told you he got into it!

We placed the pizzas in a 350 degree oven for about five minutes. Voila!

The kids like me to cut their little tiny pizzas just like a real pizza. Perfect size for little fingers!

Added bonus? This entire meal cost about $6 and we have enough left over ingredients to go another round at lunch with the kids some time this week!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Love it! I forget how easy make-your-own pizzas can be. I need to remember to put out veggies and see if they'll go for them!

Sherry said...

Those look good, I love the smiley face one! Was that Doug too?? LOL

Christina said...

Teehee. Of course! Because being around me makes him so happy, you know. Actually, that was Kaitlin's creation. I should have included that info in the post!

Rhonda said...

I love making homemade pizza. We do ours with a whole wheat crust. It is so good and so much healthier than all the fast food pizza!

Great job! Love the smiley face pizza that Kaitlin made! ;o)

Bran said...

Those look great! My sons favorite food is pizza too.