Thursday, July 2, 2009

Patriotic Goodness

Shame on me for not having posted anything in-between my two Kids In the Kitchen contributions. If I don't get caught up on my blogging, you're going to start assuming that all I ever do is cook with the kids. Wait, yes, keep thinking that.




This week the kids and I made a festive red, white and blue trifle. It's super quick, super easy and super yummy!


Here's the ingredients you'll need:


1 box vanilla instant pudding (ours called for milk)
1 pound cake
strawberries
blueberries
whipped cream
The original recipe calls for Lady Fingers instead of cake but, um, we like cake.

Once again, please ignore the plethora of off-brands. I can't help myself. *we did not use both containers of whipped cream.

First we made the pudding and set it aside in the fridge while we prepared the rest of the ingredients.

Ignore D.J. in the background as he scrapes his fingers along the top of the cake and then licks them off. Yeah, Sherry, notice I post this AFTER I let you guys eat it! Teehee. It's a hazard of cooking with kids and you must be prepared for it. Hey, at least I don't let the dog help.

Next Kait helped cut up the cake into bite size pieces. This is where we lost D.J. as he was more interested in eating bites of cake than participating.

Next we washed the berries and cut the strawberries. This was my task, but the kids helped by tasting for me. So helpful.

We added a tablespoon or so of lemon juice and some sugar to the strawberries. Helps keep them firmer and fresher.

Now we layer the ingredients: cake on the bottom, then some berries and half of the pudding.



Yes, that is a cheap $3 Wal-Mart vase that we're layering our trifle into =)

Repeat the process with more cake, then berries and the last of the pudding.

Top your layers of yum with some whipped cream and strawberries.


See, a summertime masterpiece of deliciousness!




*Sherry, I hope I'm doing the button right!

4 comments:

Sherry said...

The button is GREAT! Did you know I didn't get to taste this?? uhh I am so mad at myself! I make one similar, they are sooo good! And let me just say I LOVE LOVE LOVE your vase much better than my stinkin $10 dollar trifile bowl! GRR why didnt you tell me there are cheaper ways to make food look so pretty! Hehe .. As far as the pleathra of off brands .. you should see my pantry! i love store brands! We need to have a cooking class for the girls!!

April Nienhuis said...

That looks delicious!

Christina said...

April, it is SOOO good - and I'll bet Layla would help you with it!

LitLass said...

Looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe.