Thursday, October 11, 2007

Four going on fourteen....

Sometimes I forget that Kaitlin is only four years old. I'm not so sure she's aware that she's only four years old either. I was hoping not to have conversations like this for many more years. We had this one the other day on the way home from school.



Kaitlin: I don't like the girls anymore, Mom, just the boys.

Me: Why's that?

Kaitlin: Because they're my boyfriends. I have three boyfriends but my best one is Tyler. We're in love.

Me: You are? What do you do when you're in love?

Kaitlin: We sit by each other at snack time. And we play in the same centers together. Today we were in love but then Tyler broke up with me and then he fell back in love with me and then broke up with me again and then fell back in love. That's pretty silly, huh? When can I get married?

Me: Not for a long time, sweetheart. The most important thing about finding a boy to marry is that he loves God and wants to obey God. The next most important thing is that he chooses to love you. It's not really love when you break up and then fall back in love again. Like Mommy and Daddy. We choose to love each other. Do you understand that?

Kaitlin: Yes. But I choose to love him so I'm going to make him love me!



Such a woman already, making him love her! I feel there will be MANY more talks about love and boys in the years to come. I received a small amount of consolation today with this conversation.



Kaitlin: Is your mom still in charge of you?


Me: Now that I'm grown up, I still have to respect my mom, but now God is in charge of me.


Kaitlin: Will you always be in charge of me?


Me: Someday you will grow up, and then I won't be in charge anymore.


:::::::::::long pause:::::::::::::
Kaitlin: I want you to be in charge of me forever.



Now that I have this officially documented, she is bound to it!


9 comments:

April said...

Hmmm, weren't you Justin's girlfriend at the age of 5?!

Rachel said...

Hahahaha! It all comes back to haunt us, doesn't it? :)

Grace Powell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grace Powell said...

Ok, I deleted my first comment because I am obviously too hungry to think straight and it made no sense. Here is what I was trying to say (I think).

I think you are going to have your hands full. You can see, from that adorable photo, what trouble you are going to have with boys. Just make sure your daughter doesn't teach her cousin any of that stuff!

Michelle said...

Haha:) Love the picture!

marti said...

Oh my dear Kaitlin. I am going to have to get more specific in my prayers for her! "Lord, please bring a little girl friend her way so she won't be occupied with the boys right now"

At least she still wants you to be in charge of her!

Anonymous said...

Being a Mom is a wonderful blessing from God. I praise Him that you're being used of Him for His glory. Thanks for sharing on theis site. Aunt Ellie

Michelle said...

Oh my! I also have a four year old girl and I can just picture that conversation. I often say to my husband that I can't imagine what the teen years will be like if she acts this way now. It is fun though.

Ruth said...

Wow...you are going to have your hands full! That is cute though...she is already thinking hard!
Love the pic!