Friday, December 5, 2008

Learning from my Lab

Overview of past week:



Thursday: Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with extended family. Drop Doug off for his annual Thanksgiving hunting trip.



Friday: Put up Christmas decorations. Jack gets hit by car, severely breaks leg. Vet says surgery will cost !!!!!!! dollars so I have to sign papers to put him to sleep. Vet doesn't want to put him down because he's a healthy, young dog and asks me to also sign papers to give up ownership in case she can find someone that might be willing to take him and pay for his medical bills. Tearfully apologize to puppy and say goodbye. Come home and have to break news to Kaitlin that Jack isn't coming home. Lots of tears...on all parts. Kaitlin cries herself to sleep.



Saturday: Kaitlin wakes up crying for Jack. Have mother-in-law call the vets because I knew I couldn't handle it if they told me they had to put him down. He's alive! Someone wants him. But, God provides funding for his operation so he has surgery to piece his leg back together and we're told we can bring him home soon. Doug feels bad for family and comes home from hunting trip early.



Sunday: Pick Jack up. They say don't let him walk around for at least two weeks. Perhaps they did not notice that he was a 10 month old lab? Kaitlin is a new woman.



Monday - Wednesday: Jack sleeps a lot. It is hard to pick up a 70lb dog in order to take him out to use the bathroom. God continues to teach me through this experience. It is a reminder that I am to be a good steward with all that God has given me, including my dog (even when he annoys me); the verse in Romans about abstaining from foolish words is true...you never want to hear your daughter say to you through tears, "but Mom, you said you WANTED him to get hit by a car"; worrying is sin, the better option is to remember that He knows the future and instead focus on thankfulness for what He has already done rather than worry about what He "might not do".



Thursday: Jack finally becomes restless and starts to try to move around too much. Becomes bored and chews the top off of his leg wrapping, exposing the pin that is holding his bones together by about a quarter of an inch. Take dog back to vet, told to come back Monday to see if he has moved the pin out of place which would require more surgery.



Friday: Tell Kaitlin that Jack may have hurt himself again and, if so, he will not get to stay with us. It is a good day, though, because God has given me my family, all the provisions we need for our daily lives, and the hope of an eternity with Him.



Yes, I think it's been a good week.



"I will give thanks to the Lord because of His righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the Lord most high."

Psalms 7:17



Jack: now on tranquilizers to keep him from moving around too much!

1 comment:

marti said...

I'm sorry Jack is hurt but I think I like the tranquilizer idea!

Ok, not so funny.

Waiting to see what happens with him and praying that God will give much grace. Please don't strain your back...